Monday, September 5, 2011

Music


It seems like people are posting their opinions and rants and etc. more, and while I literally have a million ideas for posts I could make, instead I've decided go with something simple. Music.

Smaz asked me a few months ago what sort of music I listen to, and the best answer I could give was "music with 'meaning.'" It was the best answer I could give, since I don't really know myself what I listen to. So then, I made up a definition for 'meaning.'

'Meaning' in music doesn't mean stuff like deep emotional lyrics or songs that make you feel all gloomy, but its more a style of sound that appeals to me.

'Meaning' is generally defined as being less common music styles (e.g. in minor key instead of major key), having good arpeggio, having a good start, having a good background rift, and sometimes having a change in octave/speed (That's still pretty vague, but it's the best I can do.)

It's sorta like if the music tells a "good story" or something. If a song sounds pretty generic, only has verses + a chorus and doesn't change its style at all, then even if it sounds good it won't have meaning. I'll give some examples of Meaningful and non-Meaningful music.


This is Meaningful, because of the rifts / unusual sound style and strong start:


But this is not, because it lacks noticeable rifts and sounds generic to me:





This is Meaningful, because of the strong chorus and rifts:


But this ain't, 'cause it sucks:




And finally, this is meaningful:


But this isn't:




And now for one of my most meaningful songs at the moment.



I dunno if this has made what sort of music I like any clearer, but fuck it I like music.