Monday, October 14, 2013

The other day

So the other day, about 2 weeks ago. I had left work early because I wasn't doing anything besides trying to keep awake and the struggle was to hide the fact that I was really sleepy to my boss so I left. I decided to turn up early to martial arts practice since I had nothing better to do but on the way I saw this sign on a bulletin wall:
It spoke of a William Kentridge talk that was happening... in 5 minutes... Luckily the talk was happening in the same building area as my martial arts practice. 
I arrived right on time to a super packed lecture room and had to sit on the floor. I couldn't see the speaker at all but I had a great view of the projected images. The talk was pretty super. Talking about all the political sides and the artist process. As the talk went on though, I started to realize something, and that was that the speaker, was indeed William Kentridge himself. yes, the South African artist whose work I had seen in the Sydney Biennale on the Cockatoo Island, The william Kentridge whom we learnt about in art class, whom I created a colouring page in tribute to, the William Kentridge who was the prime inspiration to my class artwork last semester which I got 95% for. I guess I've heard a lot about him to this point so I to me he's a really big deal. And here he was just talking about his current art practice showing everyone videos from his mac book laptop.
It was seriously good talk though. I painstakingly took these terrible pictures from my phone only to have this lady behind me (understandably) tell me off because the light of my phone would be distracting to the lecture but it was okay because in the end when the talk was done, me and her had a short conversation about his art. It was pretty sweet.

So here are some terrible pictures I took from my phone. And I only missed 1 hour of my Martial Arts practice.