Thursday, April 19, 2012

A new dilemma

Wow this is like the first time in ages I've posted something.

Anyway with you all at uni finally, I can now ask you a question which you may or may not encounter.

So my situation right now is as follows...
Ever since I decided that I would love to squirm my way into Game Development , Ialso decided to take up Software Engineering at usyd. First year was fine and dandy. Second year was a big step up though. Even with 4 subjects this year (had 5 before), everything is no doubt even tougher.

Main concern for me however is the programming stuff I do. It's getting pretty damn difficult, to the point I have no idea how to finish my assignments. So far I'm on assignment 2 and I'm probably gonna do an all-nighter since it's due tomorrow at midnight. Also have a database assignment due at 6pm. Fun times ahead.

Just so you know how programming goes in this subject:
5 assignments, 1 every fortnight, Weighted 30% all up, 6% each.
12 quizes, 1 every week, best of 10, forgot the weighting.
Final exam. Some stupid number which adds up to 100%

So anyway, I got destroyed in my first assignment which was to program Minesweepers and now that I'm doing assignment 2, I'm struggling despite the help I got (or lack of...bitch was so concerned with her own code). Since this is a core subject, if I fail, I'll need to repeat it. Of course given my struggle in this subject, it doesn't bode well for the rest of my degree which is more programming (i.e. artificial intelligence, analysing algorithm complexity, blah blah, hard logical stuff). Even if I do repeat and pass though, I really really dislike the idea of having a fail on my transcript.

Here's my alternative then. I have until next Friday to drop my subject and continue on with my other 3 subjects which should be excellent cause it's all normal IT subjects. I'll then change my degree in semester 2 to Computer Science and Technology and major in Info Systems instead. That way I'll avoid most of the programming and do stuff like IT management, IT security and basically business oriented stuff. Obviously this is sounds super boring in comparison but I'm fine learning that stuff.

What I'm not fine with however is that by giving up Software, I might put myself on the back foot whenever I want to get into the gaming industry. If do Computer Science and major in Info Sys, I won't get the recognition in my degree. However, if I can do programming by myself along side my CS degree, and work on something I can actually show to an employer, that would be absolutely fantastic. For example, I'm getting an android phone soon and I'm pretty keen on working on an app for that. The problem with being self taught however is firstly that I might become selective in what I learn and have some pretty obvious gaps in my knowledge, and secondly, finding the motivation to even self teach. On the other hand, employers love it when you're able to show them something that you have created.

Whilst this is something I'll probably get over, but changing my degree to something I know is easier makes me feel like I'm copping out. Usually I don't mind if it's something else but this does affect my end goal in one way or another.

What I also have to think about is what are the chances of me being able to pass this subject. I could stay with my ultimate dream and hope I'm able to pass the subject, even if it is by 1 mark. As for preparing myself for the later years of uni...well I could give myself a head start and learn C++ or Python during the summer break if I really want to geek out.

In all, should I drop my programming subject, finish off this semester, change my degree to Computer Science and major in Info Systems and attempt to learn programming/develop something by myself? OR Just stick with Software Engineering and be the most awesome-est programmer a Brian can ever be and risk failing subjects.

Any advice would be funtastic if you were in my position.

Also, took about an hour to arrange my thoughts into one post. You see my stress levels? zero.

4 comments:

Șмž said...

my opinion is you should stick with it. because it might improve, and you could potentially grow incredibly in your strengths as a programmer. I think being challenged to this ridiculous level is bad but try to give it your all?
I mean of course I haven't been in your situation and my programming knowledge is far limited but to me it seems like attempting to stay with the programming course would be a definite advantage.

good luck whichever way you choose!

Lambert said...

It seems like you really want to become a game programmer person, and it'll be best for you if you don't drop the subject. But I also get that you don't want a fail.

If you need some help with game design (if that's what your assignments are on) then you can speak to Madisun (cause he does game stuff).

But yeah, it seems like you're pretty keen on Game Development/ Software Engineering, so unless you really have to, I'd try to do what I can to get a pass.

Good luck!

Xedalenar said...

Goodluck bro, and like Maxim says just fap before you take any important decisions- advice of the century.

Lord of the Palmtrees said...

oh man never, never give up on your dream! i say do your best and try and get a pass, we believe in you!
but anyway, whichever way you choose, you'll be fine, we live in a time where opportunities are endless especially if you're young and educated.

so dont worry too much, good luck xoxo