Saturday, June 4, 2011

It's late

It's really late, 1:52 am actually, but I feel like shit and can't sleep so I am going to rant about Australian Media.

Ok I get the fact that politics and entertainment has to somewhat cater to the lowest common denominator, and I am ok with that, except I find in Australia there is a problem. There are a lot of lowest common denominators to cater for who will all willingly complain about shit, even though the intelligent people have to wade through the shit that is put on tv for them, we sorta have to deal with it.
I'm going to give you an example. The show, A Current Affair. Here is an example of their "winning" journalism which should get them kicked off television for being a disgusting waste of time.




The lack of intelligent news reading in this is horrific, first of all, who the fuck eats enough pasta for the few calories it saves to make a difference. On top of that, what the fuck is a health guru? NOT A DOCTOR OR DIETICIAN OR ANYONE QUALIFIED. It's infuriating to me when shows like this piece of shit makes it seem like they have reliable sources, when it actually some stupid mother who is obsessed with calory counting. If she really wants to be slim she should go and do some sport or avoid coke. Also, I noted with that there was a nutritionist on there, (just saying, nutritionist is not a protected term, anyone can call themselves that, basically, nutritionist is to dietician as toothiologist is to dentist) and she has the right idea, however it doesn't mean that this show isn't endorsing the product, it is basically advertising this product in subtle ways. And that is the problem with Media, there is so much pressure to buy shit or do shit or have shit that we really don't need. I am not saying drop all the things you own and live as a hermit, but the brand association that lies within our culture is disturbing. For example; I buy 90% of my clothes at target or big W, maybe somewhere equally cheap if it's around (besides skiing stuff, what my dad buys, school uniform and the odd dress) Most of my clothes don't cost that much and don't get me wrong, I get enough money to be able to buy brand name things, clothes, food, etc. But there is an obsession with expensive products. Like food, when we went to Blackheath, I was happy to buy homebrand, because it's the same (except for icecream, soft drink, chocolate and maybe some other dairy products). It's so much cheaper and it's because it doesn't have the advertising behind it, well known food brands like dolmio, nestle, uncle toby's, kellog's, dairy farmers, etc. spend a lot of money on advertising, it's them we see on tv, and so they have to cost more. They don't taste different but sadly we are a consumer society and there are a lot of people that will buy brand name things because they are convinced by advertising that brand A is better than brand B, and there is no proof. I think that is how i like to look at life though, with proof, how i was raised, religion, 2012 ending etc.
Anyway having mostly forgotten the point of this as i am sick it is now 2:17 am, i have spent 25 mins on this.
I'm off.
Night Night

2 comments:

Star Driver~! said...

Well i wouldnt compromise cereal. I mean, there is a difference between cereals expecially if you go for the sugary chocolaty one (which is all i eat) like, i prefer mah lucky charms and trix cereals to the copies because, cereally, they just arent as good.
fo cereal.

Hoggle said...

to be honest, I don't understand you guys and chocolate cereals or cereal at all. Chocolate cereals are horrifically unhealthy and the energy only lasts a small amount of time, then you are likely to be overwhelmed with exhaustion, not to mention the teeth problems. But I generally don't like cereal except Schokomuesli (muesli gives good sustenance)

Also I was talking more about oats, quick oats are quick oats