Tuesday, May 22, 2012

My throat hurts

Guys, I feel tired and my throat hurts. It's all sore and my sinuses are blocked and I want to sleep.

Also today we had a chemistry lab and listen to this awesome piece of info I got.
When you connect magnesium and iron in a circuit, only the magnesium will corrode because it is more reactive than the iron. So when civil engineers make iron bridges; they bury a block of magnesium nearby and connect it into a circuit with it and only the magnesium corrodes, not the iron. Then when the magnesium is done corroding and there is nothing left, they replace it. Preventing iron corrosion. How cool it that. They also use galvanised iron, which is zinc-covered iron, which is similar to the magnesium, the zinc is far more reactive than the iron and so even if the iron is scratched; the zinc with oxidise before the iron, meaning no iron corrosion

Sorry nerd moment, but this sort of thing is what I study engineering for; I like materials and this kinda of stuff; makes me happy.

No comments: