Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Looks and self esteem shit.

Hello dear friends. Today the topic of my post is people and their obssession with appearance.

The context is that I wanted to take pictures of my friends today outside the art room and I wanted people to be in the photos to represent our memories and treasured times we have spent together. But when you take pictures, there is always someone talking about how unattractive they look and are and how they always look unattractive in photos. Some refused to be in photos because they felt that they did not look good. Which is quite strange.

Now I will begin with my view. My view which is usually odd and not with the norm. I feel that if you are with your friends and just taking pictures with your friends, there is no need to look special and good or anything. I think the memories held in photos have a larger importance then how one looks in the photo. When I told one of them that she looked really pretty today, she just exclaimed that she felt like she wasnt and that 'she nearly threw up after seeing her reflection'. Now I know that she was just exxagerating but my point is that, when in situations with your friends, I don't think that people should worry or really care about their appearance. I mean, there is sooooo much more to people than how they look and after the photo is taken, it is usually a 'omg i look soo unattractive in that' or 'I look so bad' remark when I feel that the setting and the atmosphere of the photo is much more than that.

And to be honest, i feel like the people around us don't care. Are we so shallow to care about how our friend looks that day? If people around you don't care then why should you? I mean it's nice to look nice and to feel good but I feel that if people can only see their physical appearance in the situation and nothing else.. its like, idk how to say it... I just feel that at this point in time, you have spent so much time with people and now we are ending our highschool time so we take the extra effort to create memories with each other because it might not last but all people can think of is how they look.

and its a reflection of the world around us and how people feel. Anyway, I know that I'm overeacting but it just made me feel a bit sad.

thank you for your time .

3 comments:

Xedalenar said...

i am seriously willing to split my hair down the middle for a whole day if you want me to haha.

But yeah i agree..its super annoying when they are so self critical and are deny that "final memory" (photograph)...and then they try make up for it by being all like "omg but my legs are the best" and your like....im a good friend if i go along with it, but i don't think they should have done it in the first place.....so you say, "oh yeah you have great legs"
and then they lecture you for a full ten minutes on their diet, and how skinny they used to be and your like...shut the hell up...you fuzz bag. But you don't say anything, because you have already deduced how low self esteem they withhold already by that first instance!

Oh boy....self analytical people..

Anonymous said...

yeah... i hate this too.

mind you i'm one of those people - i don't want to defend it or anything but when you hate how you look... the self-consciousness just takes over without really being able to control it. :/

AcionMan! said...

I have a different view entirely. For me, I see taking photos for the purpose of capturing memories as sort of unnecessary and a little forced. If you spend your time with your friends constantly under the thought that this will someday be a memory, then you never spend any time actually living right in the moment. It's just a personal ire I have.


However, I am not saying not to take photos when you are genuinely having awesome times with your friends. Sometimes I go through my 'Nam folder and I regret not taking nearly as many photos as I could, just because it was such an amazing adventure and my small photo album just doesn't do justice to the incredible experience it was.

But just for things like, a normal day when you're having chillout fun with your friends, if you try to take photos and make it seem like an awesome memory, it won't really when you look back at it.

Just my two cents.