Monday, August 29, 2011

Towards the end

I think i really learn the lessens of life at the end of the art process because really, the art world is a reflection of the real world.
I dont want people to read this and think that i am dissing other peoples artworks and stuff, its just what ive seen and learnt from this process.
Art marking, when they mark the works for art, no one sees the process and no one sees the effort. So in the end, it doesnt matter whose idea it was or how much time and effort was put into the work but it is the end result.
And this is true to the real world. No one cares about how long something took, no one sees the blood sweat and tears (to use a cliche) and because of that, they can just judge it on some criteria that has been written.
Actually, this is probably going to be a rant about my own disspointment and its probably going to be quite whiny and rude and self indulgent and almost an ego something something.
So there are many factors that take play in my perspective like I only see what i'm going through, i dont know what other people are going through and I only judge by what I see and these views that I have may be incorrect.
So I was a little (well not really more like very) dissapointed with my art result because it was lower than what I got last time. I had a few rants about how other people didnt deserve the high mark they had due to things like, that they didnt make their own concept or it wasnt their idea or they didnt spend very much time on it or that they used their art periods to do other class's homework. But then i got over it because, i was thinking, ok, its a process, its the real world, no one cares and it isnt that person's fault they got a high mark. And then i started dissing the system, about how the markers didnt care for concept but then i felt bad cause it almost seemed like I wanted other people to do badly which i didnt.
So then i had to stop dissing things. But then today. I found out, that someone's art work seemed to be a complete rip off of another IGS student's work from 2 years ago. When i saw the intense similarities, i thought, oh, he must be appropriating the work or taking inspiration from it or it is a shheeerr coincidence (lol jokes i didnt think that). So i went up to him and asked him about it and he said that he 'subconciously got the idea from there'... strange thing to blame the subconcious. I mean, i dont mind if someone takes someone else's idea (its art for gods sake) but when they start to take credit as if it was their original idea.. i get a bit iffed. But it was mainly my own dissapointment because i was really impressed by his works, and i thought it was really original and i always went on about how it was only possible for someone like him to come up with such an idea but then it felt like.. i dunno ... lies..? (sorry to be such a dramatic)
I mean, i remember (now this is going to be really really egoistic but i really want to be honest) when declan came up to him and said that his art was the most original piece of art he had ever seen and that his work was the most original out of everyones i was like, gee i thought mine was pretty original.. or Lord of the palmtrees.. I thought that my work was a little bit more original than that so i felt offended (see i told you i was going to be all up myself and shit) but at that time i sort of agreed as well.

and now.. its like.. he does better than me when it isnt really his idea and i just being all stupid and whiny or some shit, feel like Ive spent sooooo much effort on making something different and original and yea. I dont know. I guess thats how the art world works and thats how the real world works.
No one cares for your original ideas or effort or time. um, if you're still reading, i have a feeling that this is going to be retarded to read because I feel as though ive lost my ability to make proper sentences.

um.. its been some time since i made a rant and i hope im not trying to be rude.. um.. since Ive come this far im going to press publish so please do your best to not be offended or anything...

6 comments:

Xedalenar said...

aishhh...its true huh.

the only thing i ever learnt from mr.Lester is that, "people only care about appearance and results."

But hey...i guess sometimes we enjoy it when things go our way so i guess its time to let other people have their share..>.>

I dunno man...im still pretty stoked i mean i think i might be struggling to get the 84% because of things like this... it does suck when the rule about plagiarism is flawed. I mean i don't want him to go bad..i just want me to go good i guess (also egotistical -.-)

Boy oh boy. Why can't they just show us our progressive mark instead of playing a years worth of guessing games already. I need to know my friggen mark!

Ima go back to my games now, it gives me light when i feel dark

AcionMan! said...

Yeah. At the end of the day, as much as it sucks, the mark is only based off what the marker likes and doesn't like.

So if someone put together some shitty artwork in one week before the marking and stole it from the internet, as long as it's appealing to the marker it'll get a good score. Time, resources, and dedication mean nothing as long as the end result looks cool.

But I guess that's what art is. Urggh. Fight da powa.

Hoggle said...

The reason I like science subjects. Only black and white, no grey.
I feel you on the rant ru, and I agree kinda, it's a bit stupid that the rules are so lax.

Lord of the Palmtrees said...

Mah issew wit Da system iz dat IMHO dat der markers aint considah der agencies of da art world liek audience an world, liek it wuz as if dey wuz liek "oooh pretty, i';ve seen it b4 but it pretty" and gif it a gud mark but liek other works that are able to command responze and use tecknicks 2 affect dah audience wuz disregarded if dey wuznt pretty and also liek dey didnt care for the artworld and meaning and how the world/surroundings/ current society etc etc influenzed dah work
but im just being a creybabi cos i did bad. haha ignore me IDK why i typed dis

Șмž said...

um, yeah. I agree, but if they saw the processes, nearly every student would get at least 90%. which is 45/50. which is a lot.
but yeah, I agree that like, its unfair that his works get so much when its pretty blatantly not his own work and the amount of work he did was really minimal compared to some of us (ru per example)

ok, imma rant about myself now, because its sorta relevant and fuck justifying ranting on the blog, its the best (y)
i'm just pissed off cause both of my ideas which would have gone well, mr. t was all "no, that's a bad idea" and he pushes me to do fucking printmaking, of all things, which is fucking clearly not where my artistic talents lie. like in yr 9, my artwork was one of the few yr9 artworks entered into this competition for yr9-10 (brigittas was also) which was my drawing, which I still have and it was really good, my charcoal skills are also really good, but I completely suck shit at printing. I could have done an animation from term 1 this year, which was my idea, and I would have put in so much time and effort to get it finished it would have gone really well. I am absolutely serious, I would spend so much time doing it its not even funny. my other idea, with the perspex plates and cube thing, that could have looked pretty fucking cool also. the perspex box was a bit misguided, but if I had the confidence to pull it off, I could have pulled it off. and it would be pretty fucking incredible.
but mr t shot all of these things down. "do blue" he said, "you can do good things with blue." yeah, sure, blue is nice. my works aren't. the whole fucking time, I had this idea that I wanted to do but couldnt because mr t doubted the amount of work I would do. so i ended up doing this piece of shit blue printing. and he was all like, at the end of term 2, 'if you get it mounted, you'll look at it and think hey, that's really nice actually, i am proud of what i have done' (which was the opposite of the case, I got them back and I was like 'well this is shit')
but clearly, this was not fucking enough
and then
he has the fucking nerve to call me into his office, and look at me and say "your work got between 30 and 37" and then somehow try and convince me that was a good mark. are you fucking serious? 30 to 37? as if thats a good mark, that's fucking shit and he knows it, given how much effort i put into the work, which was actually quite a fucking bit despite what i said about not being focused/knowing what the fuck i was doing with it. 30 to 37. everyone is complaining about getting 42-3 and im sitting here going, cool. i could have done 90%+, easily, especially if I rolled with animation, and i'm supposed to sit here with maybe 60% - 75%... bla bla bla bla bla on the plus side, i don't actually give a shit about my works anymore, this rant is going nowhere i just love complaining, no regrets, imma just press publish, i have a swearing problem etc. etc. (that stuff everyone puts on the end of they rants)

Betamaxrules said...

Dude I don't go here much (never) but I had a look in the yearbook and you're totally right. That's really shitty. And I still like yours better.

Also about the marking based on the final outcome thing-
it can be damn fucking annoying but it happens in pretty much anything- I mean, some people have to study a lot less and still get good marks, for example. And that's just the way everything is. Still I get it because it would be really dumb if there was something that was obviously shittier and looked worse than something else and got a better mark because someone put more work in (not saying this is any of you obviously). But it is really annoying, especially when someone doesn't do their own work.

Also Sam, that sucks so, so hard. Pretty sure I know how you feel bro, I've had similar experiences, and it's the worst cos you're partially at fault yet at the same time you couldn't do that much. I guess you just have to make the best of it, leave it behind you and use the experience to help you later. Like, stick to what you know will be the best (but i'm sure you don't need to be told that).

Also they need to make plagiarism stuff more strict I think because that is just ridiculous that someone should do so well using stuff that is not their own. It's one thing to get a good mark without that much work because you happen to have a really good idea or something, it's totally different if you didn't even think it up cos it has nothing to do with your skills.

Just my two cents.